Monday, July 4, 2011

Land of the Free

Happy Birthday America! 
Middlebury, IN. My hometown.

I don't really know how old you are now but I do know a lot of things about you. I was born on your land, grew up around the lush cornfields of Indiana, and swam in the lakes in Michigan. My mom and dad always had an American Flag flying high in our yard and I remember how special I felt when I was my turn to read the Pledge of Allegiance over the loud speaker in elementary school. All those times I stood on the basketball court in my cheerleading uniform singing the National Anthem with the choir or my teammates with my hand over my heart staring up at your stars and stripes. 

Fish Lake, Sturgis, Michigan- where my mom, aunts, uncles, cousins grew up


I'll never forget the day I came out of the I-Step test in high school and heard someone say that a plane crashed into the twin towers in New York City. The terrifying few days and weeks after 9/11 will define my generation, but so will the resilience of our Armed Forces men and women and the freedom that they fight for... even 10 years later. And how we've learned to be grateful for our freedom and have a new pride in our country.


America, you were built by faith, trust, and hard work by our founding fathers who just wanted to be able to practice their choice of religion freely. IN GOD WE TRUST, was put in our coins for a reason. God knew we would always need to trust Him during the wars, floods, famines, trials, and tribulations we would endure on this free land. We ARE ONE NATION, and YES we are UNDER GOD... but are we following Him? Are we really trusting Him? We should be.

Thank to the BRAVE men and women in our Armed Services who have been fighting to protect this country and keep it free. Praying that you all come home quickly and safely!

No comments:

Post a Comment