Monday, May 2, 2011

A Shining Weekend


On Saturday morning, I was so thrilled to be able to participate in the first service day for The Shine Project! As I drove up to the domestic violence shelter's donation center south of Phoenix, I was full of anticipation and excitement to meet Ashley, creator of The Shine Project, as well as all the other shining women that would be helping out that day. When we learned about what the center does for domestic violence victims in Phoenix, I was so eager to get started helping in their enormous donation center. The center not only provides a safe place for the women and children who are needing to escape in the middle of the night, but also helps the women to gain back control of their lives. They provide transitional housing for the women and give them the freedom to choose from all of the donated items to put into their new home. A lot of organization needed to be done for clothing, housewares, toys, etc. So it was our job to organize racks and racks of clothing that the women would go through. It was really a blessing to see a group of women brought to together to help other women in need.




I met some AMAZING women who are also bloggers and followers of The Shine Project and finally received my SHINE shirt and SHINE necklace! (As displayed in pics, of course!)  I can't wait for the next Shine Project service day!


ALSO, on Saturday, my husband and I along with our church volunteered to help out with Relay for Life in Peoria. As we stood at the Survivor Table and handed out their free shirts and bags, it was amazing to see the number of people and the vast ranges of ages that are surviving cancer. Everyone from grandparents in their 80s and 90s, to teenage girls and a 9 year old boy diagnosed at birth. The hope in their faces at that event was amazing; to see the joy of those with cancer coming together to support one another and to be surround by friends and family supporting them was incredible!

Sunday... we went hunting. House hunting that is! This is when I kind of wish I called HGTV's House Hunters and asked to be on the show.. I've always wanted to do that! ANYwayss... we did see 8 houses and a potential house to build. We were interested in only 1 of the houses and very interested in the option of building. So we are doing some major prayer time about this and really opening our hearts and mind to what God has for us. More to come......

Has anyone else had experience with building?! If so, let me know what you think about it and if you'd do it again! Any advice will help!

Have a great week ya'll!!


5 comments:

  1. Your blog is so cute! I love it :)
    thefrogprincess16.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. youre seriously adorable. where are you looking for houses?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited to see a fellow Arizonian blogger! :) We went house hunting a little over a year ago, and about five bids later, found the perfect house- one the Lord had just for us I know it! Wish I could help with the building a house part. Love your blog btw.
    God Bless ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it pathetic that I'm happy for 3 comment on my blog?! (Don't judge!) haha! Thank you ladies!

    Ashley - We are looking the Peoria School District, just for future planning of the little ones and after being a little disappointed with the houses we saw on Sunday... we are really considering building!! Which has always been one of my dreams! We'll start small, but it's an exciting possibility!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Shine Project sounds like such a great cause! I love how much volunteering you do! I really enjoy being able to find causes that I can throw myself into. It's a really good feeling when you know that what you're doing means the world to someone else.

    As far as building, it can be VERY stressful. Prepare yourself in advance so that when you're going through the process all the hiccups you encounter won't stress you out. If it were me, I'd only build if I were planning on living in the home for a really long time, otherwise I'm not sure it would be worth the headache!

    Sarah Kate @
    http://dixie-creek-farm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete