Wednesday, April 20, 2011

STAND UP at work... literally.

So a new phonomenom is taking place in my work building. It's a little strange and you may think, "Why would someone ever want to do this?" and you may be right. I work for a smaller christian university in Phoenix and I sit ALL day long at my desk staring at my computer... sound familiar? I'm guessing many of you sit at a desk to, staring into the abyss of your screen, clicking away all day long, staring at that clock just WAITING for 4:59 to show up at the bottom right hand corner of your screen. I understand. (And wondering if your booty is getting bigger in the process.... yeah. I get it. I'm there.) Completely.

Well sit no more!

What my desk currently looks like:

My co-worker's desk, counter top height. And what mine will soon look like:

There is a new wave of people around the country and in even my own office building full of cubicles that are choosing to STAND UP at work. About 5 people I know of, including myself, have put in a request to our maintenance facilities crew to raise the height of our cubicle desk to counter top height, so we can stand up at work instead of sitting all day. I am choosing to have 2 sections of my desk raised and one stay lower so I can sit when I want to. I have yet to have my request fulfilled yet, as I've gotten three emails from our facilities department and our HR department, drilling me questions to know the reason why I want the height of my desk raised. As if there would be some medical reason to list for wanting a better, healthier, lifestyle. Hmmm....

Well let me tell you the benefits of standing versus sitting... here's a few facts and articles!

A study published by the American Journal of Epidemiology showed that sitting for long stretches, more than six hours a day, can make someone at least 18 percent more likely to die from diabetes, heart disease and obesity than those sitting less than three hours a day.
Standing Question: Could Sitting Too Long At Work Be Dangerous?
 
The simple act of standing up instead of sitting may help you burn as many as 50 more calories per hour, depending on your size. Although 50 calories may not seem like a lot in a 2,000-calorie day, making the standing adjustment for four hours out of the day can burn an extra 200 calories a day--leading to a 20 lb. weight loss over the course of a year. Standing more often also contributes to an overall better sense of well-being and health.
 
Research has shown that people who stand at work tend to be much healthier than those who sit. Extended periods of sitting, thus being sedentary, can lead to an increased risk for type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. One study found that a woman’s risk of developing metabolic syndrome increased 26% for every extra hour of sitting. Prolonged sitting in an upright position can place strain on the back resulting in chronic pain. Blood clots are another risk of being inactive.

Periods of standing throughout the day can improve circulation, muscle tone and vitality. The increased weight bearing on the skeleton is good for maintaining bone strength. You may even lose weight. Standing for just two hours during an average workday can burn an extra 280 calories. In one year, that could potentially provide a weight loss of around 20 pounds. Research has also shown an improvement in the metabolism of fats and sugars, which results in an improved lean body mass to fat ratio.



If this sounds like something you want to get involved in and have the option to do so... STAND UP!
For your health.


1 comment:

  1. We were just talking about this the other day and I have been making an effort to stand most of my day now!

    ReplyDelete